Thursday, April 12, 2018

Author Interview: Elise Whyles, Author of Forsaken Heart





Born in Northern British Columbia, Elise is a small-town girl. She writes in a variety of genres including paranormal, contemporary suspense, m/m in various lengths. Currently, she lives in British Columbia with her husband and son, one dog, one cat, and a gecko. Elise enjoys reading as much as she does writing, with some of her favorite books being read until they fall apart. 

She is currently working on the next book in the Forsaken Series, Burning Rain. As well she has a new contemporary she’s working on. For more information on Elise, or to check out her books you can find her on Facebook, twitter, and her website.




When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer/a storyteller?
When I was in high school at Westerville North, HS in Ohio.  I had an English teacher who is an author too.  Her name is Karen Harper and she taught me literature.  She was inspirational.  
 
What motivates you to write and where does your inspiration come from?
I love to daydream and write my dreams down.  It’s entertaining to me to invent stories.  Sometimes it’s as good as going to the movies.  Anything can be my inspirational to me.  Sometimes music is inspirational.  Other books or movies can make my imagination work.  Or just general life can be a source of great ideas.  People watching is also a great way to think up great story lines.  People are interesting. 

How did you come up with the idea for your current story?
Just by daydreaming and thinking about a new adventure.  Sometimes I talk over ideas with my adult sons.  My son Jacob really has good ideas and a creative mind.  Another way is, I brain storm with Elise Whyles, my partner in the Forsaken series. 

What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine or do you have any weird, funny, or unusual habits while writing and what are they?
I like to sit in front of my computer.  I turn on the television or music.  I like to chat with Patricia Bates/ Elise Whyles on the internet and we share our ideas and writing.  We’ve been doing that for years and years now.  I do well when she is there to chat with from time to time.  We are writing buddies and good friends.  Our writing careers brought us to together. 

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it?
Yes, sometimes life gets me down and I can’t think imaginatively.  Recently, I was caring for my mother who passed away last year.  During the time of caring for her, I suffered a big writers block.  Stress caused by my work/ career, also can cause writer’s block.  I am currently changing careers and looking forward to that.  I’m going from being a domestic/ juvenile lawyer to a long-haul team truck driver with my oldest son.  I’ll be driving across USA and maybe Canada.  Travel fuels my imagination.  I’m excited to do something new and different.  I’ll write while my son is driving.  Anyway, stress and worry are a bad thing for your health and your mind. If you have it and too much, you need a change.  Stress and worry can really block creative thoughts. 

What are your current/future projects?
I’m working on other books in the Forsaken series. Also, I am working on books under my other pen name, Zerlina Valinski. Also, I want to write another Triaxen type book.  I like the Triaxen aliens I created.    

Are you traditional or self-published, and what process did you go through to get your book published?
I like to use publishers for my work and I have been blessed to be published by Siren Bookstrand, Beachwalk Press, and Crimson Frost Books. 

What opportunities have being an author presented you with and share those memories? (i.e. travel, friends, events, speaking, etc...)
I have had the opportunity to submit my books to a literary agent and the possibility of turning the Forsaken series with Elise Whyles into a television series and DVD books.  That’s the coolest part of all I’ve done and a dream in the making.  I’m so excited it will lead to much more in our career as authors.  Hopefully, we will really get our books well known and get to experience more and more in this area of creativity. 

What field or genre would you classify your book(s) and what attracted you to write in that field or genre?
I write fantasy and science fiction.  These are fun to write because I love world building the most.  I love to invent things and make the crazy incredible things happen.  Anything goes in these genres and I enjoy that, the endless possibilities. 

What do you do if inspiration strikes in an inconvenient place like (car, restaurant, bathroom/shower, etc..) and how do you capture that moment before it gets away from you?
I’ve had things come to mind while at a restaurant or at a hotel on vacation.  I jot notes down tablets, napkins, whatever I can find.  Also, I have recorded myself as I’m driving and then listen to it later. 

Do you believe there is value in a review? Do you believe they are under rated, over rated, or don’t matter at all?
Yes, a thoughtfully written review is excellent and helps a writer grow and learn.  It should be honest and detailed.  If the reviewer only says it’s bad – that just hurts the writer.  The reviewer needs to say why it was bad or a disappointment and or why it was good and enjoyable.   

If you have multiple books published what do you feel is your greatest work, why?
I really like the Triaxen.  It was the first book I wrote.  I liked my characters in that book.  I realize the books has issues I wish I could correct.  I used too much stilted language and I have tried to improve from that over time.  But, the story was good, I think. 

What is the intended audience for you book?
I write for adults who love romance mixed with science fiction and fantasy. 

What makes a good story, why?
Adventure and a good pace. 

Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?
Yes, I read my reviews. When you’re an author or any type of creative person, there will always be critics of your art. There’re critics in everything we do and in all areas of life. Just ignore the truly mean criticism. Unfortunately, there are those who simply leave mean words from being cruel or jealous.  Those are the reviews that don’t say much, they’re simply mean words with no explanation of their critical comments.  The reviewer gives no reason as to why the think what they are saying.  Just remember, to keep your head up and be proud of your accomplishments.  Don’t allow others to stomp on your soul and creativity. 

What would you like to write about that you have never written about before?
I would like to write a cool dystopian story. 

Were your characters based off real life people/events or did you make it all up?
I made them all up. 

Do you view writing as a career, labor of love, hobby, creative outlet, therapy, or something else?
I view it as a serious career, a labor of love, a hobby, creative outlet, and therapy.  It’s all these things to me. 






Punished for sins not her own, can a mortal claim her vampire mate?

The world of immortals must unite to save both themselves and the mortals they co-exist with from an ancient evil.

For Bede MacTaggert this means trusting in the warrior sent for her sister—a man of mystery, of power, and one who could easily sweep her into a world she's destined to be part of.

An imperial guard to the king of vampires, Gawain has always tuned out the needs of the flesh. Dedicating himself to the service of the royals, he's lived on the fringes of his people for centuries. Now he's forced from the shadows and into the arms of a woman who will awaken his heart and body to a passion unequaled.







Thank you for this amazing interview! I wish you success for all your future works. Keep writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment