Friday, March 23, 2018

Author Interview: Dhruba D Roy author of My First Breakup




Dhruba Das Roy  is a freelance writer, a musician by passion, and a software engineer by profession. He is from Assam, but born in a small town of Meghalaya, where he finished his schooling. He then obtained his degree in engineering from the esteemed college of National Institute of Technology. He discovered his love for music there and was the lead vocalist of his band, “The Rozarts.”

He loves rock and roll and is a great fan of the pioneers of rock and roll-(Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen and the list goes on).Unfortunately, as engineering life came to an end, the band had to split. Recently, he moved to Kolkata where he is working in one of leading software service based companies in India.

Not everyone can put their thoughts into words. Dhruba had never tried his hand in writing; but he had an experience, an experience which changed his life for the better. Being a vocalist, his only way of expression was through the creative way. He decided to pen down his thoughts and he discovered that writing came naturally to him. His thought process in the novel relates to the general mass in many ways. He decided to stretch his limits and ended up voicing his thoughts in a different way this time.




When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer/ a storyteller?

If I told you that I always wanted to be a writer, it would a big lie. In fact, I never even liked literature. But that’s how it is, people change and that’s what life is all about.
I am actually not very good at expressing myself when I am around people. I had experiences and these motivated to write as I found writing to be the best way to communicate. Then when I started writing, I felt there was a lot of things that I can write about which might have many similarities with our lives and that was it, I decided to be a writer and here I am…. my debut novel, ‘My First Breakup.’

What question do you wish that someone would ask about your book(s), but nobody has? Write it out here, and then answer it.

The book has a lot of songs mentioned in it of numerous Rock N’ Roll musical bands, so which one among them is my favourite song and why?
(It feels a little funny to answer to my own question)
The answer to that would be November Rain by Guns N’ Roses. I love that song for what it is, the music is legendary and the lyric of the song is fascinating. Undoubtedly one of the best compositions of all time.

What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine or do you have any weird, funny, or unusual habits while writing and what are they?

Currently being a part time writer, I have to manage time. I work as a software engineer during the day time and write stories during the nights. Yes, it becomes quite hectic at times, but writing provides me a quality time where I can escape to a different world and relax for a moment.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it?

Yes, a lot of times. I take the day off. I listen to music, perhaps watch a movie or read a book. I feel tomorrow’s a new day and the idea is out there looking for me as desperately as I am searching for it. It’s just that I just have to recognise it.

What are your current/future projects?

I am working on two projects presently. The sequel to My First Breakup and another one is a mythological fiction which is based on Greek, Christian and Hindu History. So, hopefully either one or if God permits, perhaps both of them.

What is the intended audience for you book?

As the title itself signifies ‘My First Breakup’, It is for young adults. Most of us go through it and I believe any ‘First’ experience is always special, be it  breakup or a relationship. This novel of mine will have a sequel and that too will be based on a ‘First’ experience. I would infact call this ‘The First’ Series.

If you had the chance to get one message out there to reach readers all over the world, what would that message be?

The novel is set to be released on 9th of March 2018. Please wish me luck and if you like to read fiction, please do read “My First Breakup……. Learning to Let Go!!!”. Also do review it as it’s your reviews that will help me become a better writer.

What makes a good story, why?

There are many things that contributes to a successful story, but for me the most important ingredients are being simple, genuine and pure that can connect with the readers irrespective of the demographic diversities.

Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

Yes, reviews matter to me a lot. In the end of the day I want to be get better and reviews are essential part of that evolutionary phase in a writer’s life.

I generally do respond to both bad and good reviews that I receive.

I always am thankful for the people who reviewed my story. This gave me a chance to interact with you. The reviewer might have given me a bad review and I appreciate it. I prefer to take that, work on it and hopefully next time around he or she will appreciate my hard work. I fell that’s how respect can be truly earned.

Were your characters based off real life people/events or did you make it all up?

Most of them were. I feel, for a story to come true we need real life inspiration. These are perhaps food for a story. My friends and family provides me with this inspiration and I am really thankful to them.

What is your favorite scene in the book? Why?

Being the writer of the novel, it’s really difficult for me to just pick out one particular scene from the novel. All of the scenes are dear to me, but if you still insist, it has to be the ‘letter from Anvi to Anirudh’. I remember my Elder Sister calling me up and saying that the letter was really hard hitting which gave her goose bumps.
Oh well!! I don’t know, perhaps she was just trying to be modest and make her little brother feel better about his work :P :P







“Oh God, why me?”

This is perhaps what we think of when we go through a ‘breakup’.
This story is about Anirudh and Anvi.
Both of them have their own thinking which are not alike.
The story begins with Anirudh meeting with and accident. As he slowly succumbs to the pain, he starts reflecting about his bygone college days where he found his love for music. He loves Anvi dearly who is a long-lost friend of Anirudh.

The story reveals how Anirudh struggles as the hands of reality strikes him down.






Thank you for this amazing interview! I wish you success for all your future works. Keep writing!





No comments:

Post a Comment